Post 101

Connecticut State Veteran's Benefits


The state of Connecticut provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.

- Housing Benefits

- Financial Assistance Benefits

- Employment Benefits

- Education Benefits

- Other State Veteran Benefits

Connecticut Veteran Housing Programs

Connecticut Veterans' Home
The Department has a health care center with a capacity of 250 beds, a 50-bed substance abuse recovery program and a 500-bed Residential Program.  Professional services are provided by staff physicians, Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, OT, PT, RT, dieticians and social workers are augmented by community specialists, as well as, networking to local VA and major area hospitals when appropriate. By Statute, veterans who are able to pay in whole or in part for programs or services determined by the applicable fee schedule will receive a monthly bill for such services rendered. 


State Income Tax Exemptions

Connecticut veterans receiving federally taxable military retirement pay are eligible for an exemption from the state income tax. Connecticut applies a 50 percent exemption from the state income tax on federally taxable military retirement pay to members of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and Army and Air National Guard. 

Property Tax Exemptions
Veterans, who have ninety days of wartime service, including Merchant Marines, who served during WWII, are eligible for a $1,500 exemption for property tax purposes (e.g., real property or automobiles). You have the option to choose to apply this exemption to your real estate or automobile tax. Certain veterans, who do not own real property or a motor vehicle, may be eligible for a tax refund if they are leasing a motor vehicle.

Veterans below a certain income level and/or service connected disabled veterans are eligible for additional property tax exemptions (up to $10,000 for paraplegics). Surviving spouses of veterans may also be eligible for this benefit. Contact your municipality's Tax Assessor Officer for specific details.

By Connecticut's definition, this exemption is the reduction of the property’s assessed value for tax purposes.

Property Tax Exemption Program

Veterans who served during wartime are eligible for a reduction on the assessed value of their property, if they own property in town, or on their motor vehicle if they do not own property in town. To claim an exemption, veterans must present an original or certified copy of their Honorable Discharge papers (DD-214 Form) to their Town Clerk’s office for filing with the town's land records.  Exemptions must be claimed by October 1 for the current and following assessment years.  For income qualified veterans, an application must be filed biennially with the Assessor's office of their town of residence between February 1 and October 1.

Who Qualifies For Exemptions

Veterans who served in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard are eligible for exemptions if they served in wartime. Wartime service must have lasted at least 90 days, unless the veteran left service due to a service-related disability or the military action lasted less than 90 days. Income eligible veterans can also qualify for a higher exemption amount.

Exemption Amounts

All wartime veterans are eligible for an exemption of at least $1,500. Veterans with an income less than $33,500, if unmarried, and $40,900, if married, are eligible for an additional exemption up to $1,000.


Connecticut Financial Assistance Benefits

The Soldiers', Sailors' and Marines' Fund
The Soldiers', Sailors' and Marines' Fund (SSMF) is a state fund administered by the American Legion for the purpose of providing temporary financial assistance for veterans with ninety days of wartime service, who are disabled, unemployed or for sickness. An applicant must be a resident of the State of Connecticut at the time of application for benefits. SSMF provides funding for emergency needs such as clothing, food, medical and surgical aid, and general care and relief.

For more information visit the SSMF on the web at or call 860-296-0719


Chapter 101 Service Officer:  Mike Dwight  (860) 597-8567

Post 101 Service Officer:  Joanne Folger  (860) 394-6798

Post 101 Service Officer:  Dan Glogowski  (860) 873-2327

Post 101 Service Officer:  Karen Warner  (860) 519-4934



Post 101 SSMF Representative:  David McCaffrey  (888) 240-8188


Connecticut State Employment Benefits

Employment Assistance
An employee who leaves any public authority or public agency to enter the armed forces can be reinstated in their former position. Veterans must reapply within ninety days following receipt of a certificate from the armed forces confirming satisfactory service.

For classified competitive state exams, a wartime veteran eligible for or receiving VA compensation receives an additional ten points. A wartime veteran not eligible for VA compensation or pension receives five additional points. A spouse of a qualified veteran is also eligible for additional points. However, to qualify, the veteran or spouse must achieve a passing grade on the examination score. If an honorably discharged veteran has served in a military action for which he/she received, or is entitled to receive, a campaign badge or expeditionary medal, he/she qualifies for five additional points if they receive a passing grade on their examination.

On a competitive municipal examination, a wartime veteran eligible for VA compensation or a pension, who has received a passing score, receives ten additional points.

A wartime veteran not eligible for compensation or a pension, who has received a passing score, receives five additional points.

Visit the Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.


Connecticut Veteran Education Benefits

Educational Benefit/Tuition Waivers
State law provides that tuition fees at state educational institutions be waived for certain veterans and certain dependents.

 Approved institutions for this benefit are:

- State Regional Community/Technical Colleges

- State Universities

 In order to be eligible for a tuition waiver, one must:

- Be a veteran who served 90 days of active duty during a period of war as defined in; and

- Have been accepted to an approved institution; and

- Be a Connecticut resident at the time of acceptance to the institution.

A veteran's dependents can also qualify for tuition waiver if the veteran is declared missing in action while serving in the armed forces after January 1, 1960.

High School Diplomas and Veterans of WWII
Local Boards of Education may award diplomas to those WWII veterans who did not receive them when they left high school before graduation for military service.


Other Connecticut State Veteran Benefits

Burial in Connecticut's Veterans' Cemetery
Any veteran discharged with other than a dishonorable discharge is eligible for burial in a state veterans' cemetery. Spouses are also eligible for this benefit.

Motor Vehicles Waiver
State law provides for free motor vehicle registration and special plates to former prisoners of war and recipients of the Medal of Honor.

Veterans, who were state residents at the time of induction and who apply within two years of receiving an honorable discharge, are exempt from paying for an operator's license and examination fees for one licensing period.

State law also provides that fees may be waived for the following registration items, subject to a formal determination by the Department of Motor Vehicles:

- Special License plates for disabled veterans

- Special fee license plates for certain disabilities (loss of use or loss of limb, or blind) handicapped and overtime parking.

- If receiving auto grant from the VA or Medal of Honor recipient, exemption from registration fees.

Members of The Municipal Employees' Retirement System, who leave municipal employment to enter the armed forces while the United States is at war, engaged in hostilities, or during national emergencies and are re-employed by the municipality within six months of discharge, are credited with the period of service as though they had been continuously employed. This six-month limitation can be extended due to service-related disability.


Visit the Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.